Friday, July 8, 2011

Why I Kan't Kindle

I like books. Actual books. Nothing against e-readers, but there's just something about the weight of a book in my hands. Turning its paper pages.

Growing up in a home that valued reading, books weren't just decorations or props - like something in an Olan Mills photo studio circa 1976. Our very real bookshelves were bursting and we were always encouraged to "Go and sit down somewhere with a book".

I guess I'll be urging my children to "Go and sit down somewhere with a Nook".

3 comments:

Gween said...

Don't give in!!!
My love affair with books began before I could even read. My grandmother was always sitting with a book in her hand.
Always!
And as much as I love technology, I will never own a e-reader.
Let's just hope I can pass that along to my son as well.

Bethann said...

HOney.. I said the same damn thing.. Love the Smell and the weight and the page turning.

And then Jim got me a Kindle. Holy Mutha.. can't express in words how much I love this thing. :)

I still have some paper books (that I hadn't read yet before getting the kindle) and I will read those. I still go to turn the page on the kindle.. habit I guess. But boy my kindle in the apple green cover with it's built in light truly ROCKS MY WORLD. I read more now in the past year than I have in the past 4 combined because the ease of getting a new book is simply phenomenal.

I still buy paper books for my kids and read to them but for me I cart my 70 books around in 1 .. so I can read any 4 I want while on vacation and not need a whole other bag just for my books.

And I still LOVE the smell of a new book. Nothing like it.

Christy said...

I'm with you, friend! I tried ereading and it just wasnt the same. Call me old-fashioned or resistant to change; I prefer to think of myself as a purist. Reading blogs in an electronic format is one thing but when it comes to a book, I want to feel the weight of it in my hand and the excitement of turning a page.