Friday, October 23, 2009

Battle Buddies

Let each of you look out not only for his own interest, but also for the interests of others.

~Philippians 2:4

It's hard to believe that Halloween is only a week away. When J deployed in June, fall seemed so far off. Now, we are anticipating his return within the next several weeks. It will definitely be a time for celebration, but I can't help but think about the soldier who will be sent to his take his place. I can't help but think about his brand new daughter born just this past summer...the fact that he won't be home for her first Christmas. Truth is,I know more about this family than I would like to know. They are our friends.

L, the wife, called today. I was prepared for her disappointment, despair, maybe even some tears. I was prepared to reassure her...to let her know that if things could be any different, I would try my best to make it so. What I didn't expect was reassurance from her. She knew it was out of our hands and is truly excited for our opportunities in D.C. They are embracing the "bright side" of the deployment--including the fact that her husband will have a shorter time downrange than the rest of the soldiers. They will also be able to take advantage of some financial perks. Not to mention she and the kids are going to take the opportunity to visit her family back home in a tropical paradise. With the memory of wicked Nor'easters lurking in the back of my mind, I almost begged her to take me with her.

Of course nothing could replace having him safely by her side, safely home with their 2 small children. But as duty calls, I am glad to know that our friends are as concerned about our family as we are of theirs.

1 comment:

Jenny B said...

Awwwww - support is amazing.