Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Joy and Pain

Over and over you can be sure
There will be sorrow but you will endure
Where there's a flower, there's the sun and the rain
Oh and it's wonderful they're both one and the same


~Frankie Beverly

Every year around our wedding anniversary, I dust off the old wedding album. Looking through the photographs never fails to bring a smile to my face. Total nostalgia. J makes fun of me, but it is always amazing to me to reminisce about that beautiful Indian Summer day~ most notably, how young we looked. Geez, we WERE young --both just 23 and crazy in love. Fourteen years later and we're even more in love. And thanks to our three children, we're even more crazy.

What struck me the most (besides how wide-eyed and naive we were), was that so many of our loved ones who witnessed our union have passed on....photo after photo of J and me smiling with the most important people in our lives. As I turned the pages--past pictures with my grandmothers, J's parents, his older sister, my father-- an unexpected wave of sorrow washed over me like never before.

My wedding anniversary is a special time to reflect on the wonderful life my husband and I have built...to thank God for all of His mercy and many blessings. Yes, we have lost many loved ones these past 14 years, but we've also been blessed. Savannah, Mariah, and Isaiah are proof of that. Their unconditional love, innocence, and laughter reminds us of the unspeakable joy in this life that helps balance the inevitable pain.

In this life, I can't think of anybody I'd rather have by my side in good times and in bad. Happy Anniversary to the love of my life, on the other side of the world.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Happy Anniversary to you both! How wonderful that you were able to find your forever.

Michele said...

Okay, so now I'm balling...
Marriage is truly a journey, Mandie, isn't it?

To be more in love today after 14 years is truly a blessing. In this day and age to see you and James , loving and parenting as hard as you can is an inspiration to the world!

God bless you both, your union and your children!