Saturday, December 13, 2008

"I can make your life easier, Mrs. B..."

I was all ears at that point. Any way that Isaiah's cardiologist could lighten my load--sign me up. Yesterday's appointment wasn't as productive as I had hoped; James couldn't get out of class to go with Isaiah and me and I couldn't convince Isaiah to be still for the EKG. So we'll have to go back to have it done.(*light bulb* James should be finished with his classes next week). We did manage to get a short echocardiogram done. I love seeing my little guy's heart on that screen--especially when it's doing what it is supposed to.

Up to this point, Isaiah has been on Digoxin (since he was 35 weeks in utero, through 18 months-old) and Propranolol. It requires dosing him several times a day. But yesterday, Dr. P. said Isaiah is old enough and hefty enough to start on another drug that he will take just ONCE a day: Atenolol. Ironically, it's the same medication I started taking in October. Can't you just see my stash getting low and I'm hitting up Isaiah for his drugs? At any rate, this change will definitely make our lives easier. Buh-bye Costco-inspired vats of applesauce and pudding!

Dr. P. did mention that as early as next year we should pursue a catheter ablation for Isaiah. Even on the drugs, Holter monitoring shows Isaiah's heart still having short bursts of SVT (rapid beating). The procedure would locate and remedy the problem with his extra pathway. We believe in the power of prayer, so please keep Isaiah in yours.

2 comments:

Wendy M. said...

I hope your life does get easier! God knows you could use a break! I will definately keep your family on my prayer list. *hug*

Mommyof2boys said...

I hope everything works out Sharon,I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers !!