Sunday, May 10, 2009

Sash and Tiara Optional

Am I the only mother who can't sit still on Mother's Day? I mean I try to sit back and enjoy the day, I really do. I told myself I was going to relax today. Take it easy. Be Queen for a day. That worked in theory for about 10 minutes. Mariah brought me my laptop in bed. I wasn't content. I dumped a whole basket of clean towels on the bed and proceeded to fold them. I couldn't help myself.

What I've discovered through almost 12 years of mothering is I don't have to be put on a pedestal in order to enjoy my Mother's Day. Little gestures from my crew, like picking up after themselves without being told or saying "Thanks, Mom" and meaning it go a long way. That actually recharges my battery on a daily basis, so I don't need one day like Mother's Day to feel special. Sure, it's nice to be acknowledged one day on the calendar, but it's even nicer to be valued all year-round.

My hope and prayer is that all of the mothers in my life know a love and appreciation like that.

And a special Mother's Day shout-out to MY MOM with the sassy new hair! I cannot wait to see it in person. ;) I love you with all of my heart!

No comments: