I realize I've been unusually quiet since I broke our big news. As you might imagine, it's been a flurry of activity and emotions since we found out we'd be relocating. All along the way there have been lots of twist and turns on our journey to the White House Communications Agency job. And let's just say, it ain't over...
Apparently James is irreplaceable to his unit for their upcoming deployment. He has found himself in a tug-of-war between his command and WHCA. WHCA has first dibs because technically, James had been qualified and "on hold" for this position for over a year. His command is saying that he is the only one with certain specialized training to go downrange to fill that spot. I say it is all a load of hogwash ~ not that James is qualified, but that they can't forsee anyone else in his place. But in true military protocol, my opinion doesn't mean squat. Mission first.
It's been a very emotional week with lots of ups and downs. I cannot express how low I got. I've fallen back on scriptures and remember that God did not bring us this far for nothing. I'm always raving about God's perfect timing and I have no doubt this is all part of a much bigger plan for our lives.
The compromise between his command and WHCA is as follows: James will indeed deploy this summer. But only long enough to set up the equipment he is trained in handling and delivering. When he finishes, he is free to go. He is not to be in the Middle East longer than 90 days. WHCA will hold his position and he will be able to report a few months after the original August date.
Today he received personal phone calls from the higher-ups expressing their regret for all of this drama with assurances that this new plan, while not perfect, is for the best. But until I get that phone call, I'm withholding my appreciation.
James' command has offered to move me and the kids anyway so we can get settled before school starts. I absolutely don't want them to transfer schools, clear across the country, in a totally different timezone in the middle of the school year. Neither situation is ideal. I'm just hoping for the path of least resistance and drama. This is SO much bigger than James and me.
*enter silver lining* At least we'll be able to pay off our California trip with the extra deployment money like we had originally planned and still be together for Christmas which we hadn't.
Don't we all feel better now? ;)