Friday, June 26, 2009

Operation Enduring Patience

James just called from Texas. He flew out today at o'dark thirty to begin the first leg of his journey overseas. From Dallas, he'll be flying to an "undisclosed location" (yeah, he got all Dick Cheney on me). Eventually, he'll be in the heart of the Middle East.

Predeployment was textbook: not enough time to say goodbye. There's never enough time to say goodbye. We had planned a nice sitdown dinner out with the kids at one of our favorite places. Naturally, the clothes dryer died in the middle of James' last load--15 minutes before we were set to leave. I told James not to worry about--to take the clothes to the laundromat and I'd buy a new dryer this weekend and have it delivered and installed. He insisted that we have a new one ASAP, so in the middle of packing, he headed out to buy one (he is such a good provider).

His efficiency was impressive. He went over to the PX, got a good deal on a new dryer, had his friend with a truck bring it by, had it installed and drying his clothes by the time the girls and I returned with our take-out.

I just hope that same "can do" spirit gets him safely home soon so we can head back East to start the next chapter of our lives.

In an ironic turn, I got a call from my doctor's office today. I have been waiting for months to get my "well woman" appointment. OB/GYN doesn't do them anymore at our hospital, so I had to wait to be seen in my primary clinic. And guess what...they can see me NOW. I told the lady, "I can't believe this. My husband deployed this morning. I have 3 kids to arrange childcare for now."

She was totally sympathetic ~ I guess you have to be dealing with the military. We arranged an appointment around the girls' Summer School schedule. Isaiah, however, will have to suffer through witnessing his mother in stirrups. Hope I don't scar him for life.

Just don't peek around the curtain, Little Man.

No comments: