Monday, November 2, 2009

Do you know the Muffin Mandie*?



A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....I became a Star Wars nerd. It happened over the summer. I blame it on my Star Wars obsessed daughter, Savannah. I hadn't even seen the first Star Wars movie ("A New Hope", by the way) before she had me hooked on "The Clone Wars" (an animated series set sometime between "Attack of the Clones" and "Revenge of the Sith". Uh-oh--nerd alert).

Halloween was a no brainer ~ especially when Mariah informed me she wanted to be Ahsoka Tano (Anakin's young padawan in "The Clone Wars". OK. I promise I'm going to stop doing that). Not happy with anything I saw online, I went to task making her costume (the biggest compliment came from a dad I heard shout, "Hey look Sally--there's Ahsoka Tano!!!" I could have kissed that man).

At the last minute, Darth Vader (AKA: Savannah), reneged and became instead, The "Phantom" Menace. It was all good ~ along with Baby Yoda (AKA: Isaiah), we payed homage to the old school and the new.

The weather cooperated with our trick-or-treating plans. The girls took turns carrying Isaiah's goodie bag up to doors as he sat all Jedi Master-like in his stroller. It didn't take long to get a decent haul and that's when we decided to head back home and to start giving out candy. I wasn't sure of the turnout. Last year's group was pretty dismal.



Imagine my surprise when we were converged upon by wave after wave of candy seekers. In the midst of it all, we ran out of candy. I felt so bad for a particular little boy who had been waiting so patiently in line.

And then my mind went to muffins.

Last month I bought 2 huge boxes of assorted Otis Spunkmeyer individually wrapped muffins for Mariah's soccer team. The game had been cancelled due to lightning, so I was stuck. And after we had eaten all of the banana nut, what was the point, really?

"Wait right there!" I ran to the kitchen, yanked up the cache, and made that little kid's day. Tiny hand after tiny hand reached inside the box. They were gone like hotcakes. And if I ever run out of muffins on Halloween, that's another option. Mind the syrup, kiddos.


*"Mandie" is my childhood nickname that sticks to this day.

No comments: