Friday, November 6, 2009

Y-M-C-A

I said, young man, what do you want to be?
I said, young man, you can make real your dreams.


~"Y.M.C.A." as sung by The Village People


There are about three gyms and just as many pools here on post. Family members and dependants of soldiers have free access to all. But this summer I bought a membership to the YMCA--and not even the Y closest to my house. But I have to go there. It's where Isaiah learned how to walk.

As I was filling out the paperwork to enroll, the guest services lady questioned why I would pass not one, not two, but three other Y's on the way. That's when I explained what had occurred over the summer...why their Y was so special to us.

She was blown away. She asked right then and there if I wouldn't mind submitting Isaiah's unique story for their "My YMCA" feature on their website and newsletter. One of their missions is to inspire. And with over 18,000 members, she was confident Isaiah's story, which is in their November issue, could touch someone locally.

It wasn't so long ago that I was inspired. If I can gift that hope to another mother, another family--it will be totally worth the trip.

No comments: